Engine replacement for an oldtimer

It is possible to replace your vehicle's engine. The following procedure applies when replacing the engine of a vehicle, dual purpose vehicle or minibus:

Rules to be observed in the event of an engine replacement:

  • The type of fuel must remain the same
  • The number of cylinders must remain the same
  • The method of supply must remain identical (carburettor, injection, etc.)
  • A turbo cannot be added
  • A tolerance on the engine size and/or power is acceptable:
    • Engine size tolerance:
      • Upper limit: original engine size x 1.2 (or maximum +20%)
      • Lower limit: no limit
    • Tolerance on power (if known):
      • Upper limit: original power x 1.2 (or maximum +20%)
      • Lower limit: no limit
  • The make of the engine must not be identical to that of the replacement engine

Engine replacement certificate

The steps for obtaining a replacement certificate vary depending on when the vehicle was put into circulation.

If put into circulation before 15 june 1968 or registered as an old vehicle, the certificate can be issued by the person who carries out the conversion. The necessary data is:

  • make, type and VIN of the vehicle;
  • make, type and fuel of the replacement engine;
  • size and power of the original engine;
  • size and power of the replacement engine;
  • name, address and signature of the person performing the replacement.

If put into circulation after 14 june 1968 and not registered as an old vehicle, the engine can only be replaced after approval by the vehicle manufacturer's agent. The manufacturer must apply to our administration.

Modification of the registration certificate

The registration certificate can be modified by sending the registration certificate with the pink "registration application" form and the insurance sticker. Attach a copy of the engine replacement certificate. Send all documents to the DIV.

In box X10 on the registration application form, please state that it is a replacement engine.

The form does not have to be stamped by the technical inspection if the owner of the registration certificate remains the same. If the owner changes, a technical inspection sticker must be affixed to the registration application.

Use of the vehicle on public roads

If the vehicle is being used on public roads, the original engine replacement certificate and the certificate of conformity (if applicable) must be present in the vehicle. The certificate will be transferred to the buyer in the event of a sale.