New activities are developing in the Avenue du Port neighbourhood: offices, housing, parks, shops, brasseries, etc. They lead to new urban planning orientations. This project aims to take account of these developments and to redevelop Avenue du Port for the 21st century.
Avenue du Port
- The spaces currently shared by pedestrians and cyclists will be transformed into a pavement reserved exclusively for pedestrians.
- Linking the project to a major pedestrian route between the Gare du Nord and Tour & Taxis via the Suzanne Daniel bridge.
- On the canal side, the existing plane tree line will be maintained. Some trees will be removed to create pedestrian crossings, new entrances or for safety reasons. With a new line of elms, it will surround a two-way cycle path.
- On the opposite side of the canal, the existing tree line will be removed. A one-way cycle path will be laid alongside the pavement. It will be separated from the roadway by a new elm line interrupted by parking.
- The roadway will thus be surrounded by two new elm lines that will form the future double tree line of the avenue.
- Car parking is partially maintained on the side opposite the canal. Alternatives will have to be sought for the parking of trucks and large vans.
- Between Sainctelette and Picard, there will be one lane of traffic in each direction, with the remaining road space used for parking (on the KBC side) or for pre-selection at junctions.
- Between Picard and Claessens, 4 lanes are reserved for car traffic. There will be at least one lane in each direction with pre-selection lanes at the approach to the crossroads.
- The project includes the extension of the two-way cycle track on the canal side surrounded by a double line of elm trees and the planting of smaller trees on the other side of the street.
- New pedestrian and cyclist crossings secured by traffic lights will be installed at the intersection with Van Gulick and Ciplet streets. The open space in front of the Tivoli and Agnès Varda schools will be planted with trees and equipped with tables and benches.
- A traffic lane will be provided in each direction and a bus lane in the direction of Avenue du Port.
General project information
- Brussels city
|Demande de permis d'urbanisme||4/9/2017||rapport_incidences.pdf|
|Obtention du permis d'urbanisme||24/12/2019||permis_urbanisme.pdf|