Engine replacement

It is possible to replace your vehicle's engine if it is damaged and the engine or some of its parts are no longer available. When the manufacturer no longer exists, the competent regional authority must certify this change. The following procedure applies when replacing the engine in all vehicle types.

The rules to be observed in the event of an engine replacement are as follows:

  • the type of fuel must remain the same
  • the number of cylinders must remain the same
  • the method of supply must remain the same (carburettor, injection, etc.)
  • the addition of a turbo and/or a supercharger is prohibited if they were not present in the original engine
  • a change in engine size and/or power is acceptable within the following tolerances:
  • engine size tolerance:
    • upper limit: original engine size x 1.2 (or maximum +20%)
    • lower limit: no limit
  • power tolerance:
    • upper limit: original power x 1.2 (or maximum +20%)
    • lower limit: no limit
  • the make of the replacement engine must not be identical to that of the original engine

Engine replacement certificate

The steps for obtaining an engine replacement certificate vary depending on when the vehicle was put into circulation.

If put into circulation before 15 June 1968 or registered as an oldtimer, the certificate can be issued by the person carrying out the conversion. The data required on the certificate are as follows:

  • make, factory type, trading name and VIN of the vehicle
  • make, identification number and fuel of the replacement engine
  • size and power of the original engine
  • size and power of the replacement engine
  • name, address and signature of the person performing the replacement

Brussels Mobility can also issue an engine replacement certificate if a request is sent to homologation@sprb.brussels with the information listed above and supplied by the person carrying out the conversion, plus a copy of the registration certificate and/or a technical data sheet issued by the manufacturer, through its mandatory or importer, or by the Belgian Historic Vehicles Association.

If put into circulation after 15 June 1968 and not registered as an oldtimer, the engine can only be replaced after approval by the vehicle manufacturer's mandatory or its importer if the power and/or engine size are modified. The manufacturer must apply to our administration.

Modification of the registration certificate

Once the engine has been replaced and the certificate for the change obtained, the registration certificate must be modified. The registration certificate can be modified by sending the following documents to the Vehicle Registration Service (DIV): 

  • current registration certificate
  • the pink "registration request" form completed in box X10 with the statement that this is a "replacement engine"
  • insurance sticker
  • a copy of the engine replacement certificate

The form does not have to be stamped by the technical inspection if the owner of the registration certificate remains the same. If the owner changes, a technical inspection stamp must be affixed to the registration request.

Use of the vehicle on public roads

If the vehicle is being used on public roads, the original engine replacement certificate and the certificate of conformity (if applicable) must be present in the vehicle. The certificate must be transferred to the buyer in the event of a resale.