Driving schools must be accredited, as must the driving school instructors and managers. The distribution between Regions is as follows (applications and fees):
- A driving school is answerable to the Region in which it is located (address of the licensee's head office)
- Certified staff members are answerable to the driving school and therefore to the Region in which it is located.
- A business unit is answerable to the Region in which it is located, even if this is different from that of the driving school.
- Arrêté royal du 23 mars 1998 relatif au permis de conduire
- Arrêté royal du 11 mai 2004 relatif aux conditions d'agrément des écoles de conduite des véhicules à moteur
- Arrêté royal du 10 juillet 2006 relatif au permis de conduire pour les véhicules de catégorie B
- Arrêté ministériel du 30 janvier 2006 déterminant les matières de la formation annuelle pour le personnel dirigeant et enseignant des écoles de conduite visée à l'article 14 de l'arrêté royal du 11 mai 2004 relatif aux conditions d'agrément des écoles de conduite de véhicules à moteur
Please note! New regulation in the Brussels Region from November 2018:
- Arrêté du Gouvernement de la Région de Bruxelles-Capitale du 29 mars 2018 relatif à la formation à la conduite et à l’examen de conduite pour la catégorie de véhicules à moteur B et à certains aspects pour toutes les catégories de véhicules à moteur.
- Arrêté ministériel du 23 octobre 2018 fixant les règles relatives à la formation à la conduite, l’examen à la conduite, les redevances et la commission de recours
For an overview of the changes: see the driver training page
List of schools and publications
- Liste des écoles agréées.pdf(PDF) (177.57 KB)
- Annual training 2021.docx (32.34 KB)
- MOTORCYCLE TRAINING SHEET.docx (99.4 KB)
These administrative documents are essential for managing your driving school.
Applications for driving school accreditation, authorisation to run a business unit and land approvals must be submitted by registered mail.
- AE001 APPLICATION FOR ACCREDITATION OF A DRIVING SCHOOL.doc (159.5 KB)
- AE002 APPLICATION FOR A PERMIT TO OPERATE A BUSINESS UNIT.doc (141.5 KB)
- AE003 APPLICATION FOR APPROVAL OF THE TRAINING AREA.doc (141 KB)
- AE004 Request for the modification of the information on the authorisation to operate a driving school.doc (157.5 KB)
- AE005 TRAINING CERTIFICATE.doc (129.5 KB)
- AE007 PROGRESS OF THE COURSE.doc (128 KB)
- AE008 CERTIFICATE OF TRAINING.doc (124.5 KB)
- AE009 REGISTRATION CARD.docx (31.51 KB)
- AE010 ATTENDANCE LIST.docx (27.42 KB)
- AE011 Daily sheet practical lessons.docx (17.01 KB)
- AE012 Annual register of the business unit.docx (29.29 KB)
- AE013-2 EACHING CERTIFICATE - CERTIFICATE OF COMPETENCE.docx (21.49 KB)
- AE014 ANALYTICS AND DELEGATION OF SIGNATURE FORM.doc (149 KB)
- AE015 HIRING A STAFF MEMBER.doc (145 KB)
- Application for the approval of an annual training programme .doc (133 KB)
New teaching certificates for category B
- Certificate of theoretical training in a driving school Motor vehicle category B.docx (26.77 KB)
- Certificate of practical training in a driving school Motor vehicle category B.docx (27.43 KB)
Note: a certified copy of the candidate's registration card must be attached to the teaching certificate.
The following tariffs are applicable for the fees payable by driving schools to the Brussels Regional Public Service.
Accreditation of a driving school
Substantial modification of one piece of information in the accreditation
Permit to operate a business unit
Substantial modification of the information in the authorisation
Approval of a new training area
These fees are paid when applying for driving school accreditation, when applying for a licence to operate a business unit or when applying for a substantial change in the information relating to an accreditation or licence (including an application for approval of a new training area).
Hiring a certified staff member or trainee
This fee must be paid prior to the start of employment of the staff member to whom it relates.
The annual fees for 2023 are:
171 € per accredited driving school
171 € per business unit
72 € per certified staff member or trainee
Access to the profession of driving school instructor
Do you want to become a driving school instructor?
INFORMATION ON CERTIFICATES OF PROFESSIONAL COMPETENCE.doc (89 KB)
Course modalities when hiring a driving school trainee instructor.docx (214.37 KB)
The Brussels Regional Public Service is not yet able to organise the examinations for the professional aptitude certificates for driver training.
You can register for the French-language examinations organised by the Walloon Region.
The form and the registration conditions are on their website mobilite.wallonie.be
The contact address is email@example.com
Professionals from other EU/EEA Member State/Switzerland
Temporary and occasional driving
If you are already legally established in a Member State and you want to exercise your profession in Belgium temporarily, the following information must be provided to the administration via the driving school that employs you:
- proof of your nationality
- a declaration certifying that you are legally established in a Member State and that you are not prohibited, even temporarily, from exercising your profession
- a copy of your driver's licence
- proof of your professional qualifications
- if neither the profession nor the training is regulated in the country in which you are established, proof by any means that you have carried out your activities for two years during the previous ten years
- an extract from your criminal record, template 596.1-7, which proves your good conduct
- proof that you speak French or Dutch
- a certificate of aptitude for group 2 driver's licence applicants (medical screening)
Any material change in the situation established by these documents must result in the notification of the new documents attesting to the change. This information must be notified within three months from the date of the actual material change.
If you settle in Belgium permanently, you must submit an application to have your professional qualifications recognised and obtain authorisation to teach or manage as stipulated in Article 12, § 2, of the Royal Decree of 11 May 2004 on the conditions for the accreditation of motor vehicles driving schools, as well as the corresponding certificates referred to in Article 24 of the above-mentioned Royal Decree.
Information: mobilite.wallonie.be and vlaanderen.be
Brussels Mobility Department of Vehicles and Goods Transport Place Saint-Lazare 2 1035 Brussels T 0800 94 001 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Vlaamse Overheid Departement Mobiliteit en Openbare Werken Afdeling Beleid Mobiliteit en Verkeersveiligheid Koning Albert II-laan 20 bus 4 1000 Brussel Email: contactpunt