In some circumstances, it may be necessary to have the VIN restamped onto an older vehicle. If the restamping has not been carried out by the manufacturer, the competent regional authority must certify that the restamp complies with the regulations. The circumstances requiring the intervention of Brussels Mobility are:
If the vehicle was produced before 15 June 1968 and:
- the vehicle manufacturer no longer exists
- the vehicle has never been registered as an oldtimer in Belgium
- a green technical inspection certificate with limited validity was issued with the fault: "IDENTIFICATION DU VÉHICULE : NUMERO DE CHASSIS : introuvable ou illisible. Il sera procédé à une nouvelle visite complète" (VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION: VIN: not found or illegible. A complete new inspection to be carried out).
If the vehicle was produced after 15 June 1968 and:
- a green technical inspection certificate with limited validity was issued with the fault: "IDENTIFICATION DU VÉHICULE: NUMERO DE CHASSIS : introuvable ou illisible. Il sera procédé à une nouvelle visite complète" (VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION: VIN: not found or illegible. A complete new inspection to be carried out)
- the vehicle manufacturer no longer exists.
Step 1: the request
A Request for a new VIN restamping certificate can be made by sending the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org in the best possible quality and in the correct reading direction. Remember to include your full postal address and a telephone number where you can be reached during office hours:
- a copy of proof of purchase
- a copy of both sides of your car registration certificate
- a copy of both sides of the certificate of conformity or approval certificate (Procès-Verbal d'Agrément - PVA) if available
- a copy of the latest technical inspection certificat
- a copy of the "British Trust Heritage" certificate if the vehicle is a British model
- photographs of the front, rear and both sides of the vehicle
- a photograph of the manufacturer's identification plate
- a photograph of the engine number if present
- a photograph of the defective VIN, if present
When we receive the request, a request for payment of the processing fee is sent. The Conformity Department only finalises paid and complete requests.
A file number is automatically assigned to your request as soon as it is entered onto our computer system and is sent to you by acknowledgement of receipt.
Step 2: restamping
Your vehicle's VIN can be restamped by the garage of your choice. The old number must first have been struck through.
The specifications applicable to the restamping of the VIN according to accepted practice are:
- the VIN must be restamped directly onto the chassis
- characters must be at least 7 mm high
- typefaces must be legible, so avoid Gothic typography, for example
Step 3: restamp inspection
As soon as payment of the processing fee has been confirmed and the restamp has been completed, an mandatory will contact you to inspect the restamp and check the vehicle's documentation with that provided in the request.
The inspection takes place at Iris Tower, Place Saint-Lazare, 2, B-1035 Brussels. You must therefore bring the vehicle yourself.
If the restamp does not comply, a new stamp must be made and an appointment made for a new inspection.
Step 4: VIN restamping certificate
If the restamp is confirmed by the mandatory on site, the certificate is sent to the address you gave in your initial request, the same address as was used for the payment request for the processing fee.
Step 5: finalisation at a technical inspection center
As soon as you have received the VIN restamping certificate, you must return to the technical inspection centre that found fault with your vehicle. Based on this certificate, an inspector stamps the centre's seal on both sides of the VIN, carries out another full inspection, and the procedure ends.
NB: the VIN restamping certificate is a vehicle document in its own right, and as such must accompany the vehicle at all times, and be passed on to any future owner of the vehicle in the event of resale.